Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wk1 Reading: Copyright Issues Part 3: The Creative Commons Solution

I find myself on the fence many times when it comes to Copyright laws. I know for a fact if I were an artist, I would not want anyone copying my work and profiting from it. I am by no means an artist, but I can see the side of those who are always having their copyright violated. When I create content for our school’s website, I can usually find images or graphic buttons I created popping up on other sites within our district because other school’s webmaster’s are taking my work and using it on their site.

And today, it seems as if creativity tends to be how far can we take what’s already out there, tweek it, change it up a little and call it our own. I know with the world getting smaller, in a global network sense, there are so many opportunities to find new “inspirations” for creativity. With creative commons, I like that artists and creators of content are willingly giving the rights to their work to use. And if there were more places like this, then maybe there could be a revamping of the current Copyright laws to take this into account and be more black and white with the laws now that there are more places to get content.

2 comments:

  1. That must be frustrating to see content that you created ending up on other people's websites. It is crazy. You probably don't want to raise a stink about it though because they are in your district. Is that right? You are in a rock and a hard place.
    I also think that the Creative Commons has provided a location for settlement of a lot of the issues in copyright laws. This site is so easy to use. It is amazing. Maybe even Awesome (like our old team). I agree if there were more solutions out there like Creative Commons then it would be much easier for legislation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rowdy,
    I believe that there is a code you can use to prevent someone from dragging your pictures onto their computer. You can also watermark them or place the little c, the date and your name/email address on them. Maybe this will help keep your images yours. Ingenuity has left the building and made way for taking and repackaging. Such is the nature of today. Have you considered using Creative Commons for your images?

    ReplyDelete