Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wk4 Reading: Art of Possibility Chapters 9-12

In Chapters 9-12 of the Art of possibility I found myself reflecting on all the things that I do and don’t do that reflected the authors thoughts presented in this book.
In Ch. 9, right off the bat, he hit a home run in the second paragraph. Being a technical gadget junkie and always needing to have the latest and greatest of any device, I often find that in all reality, in person is the best way of communication. When he told the story of his father and the wonderful quote, “certain things in life are better done in person,” I could see myself nodding in agreement at this. The ability to get someone enrolled in an idea or practice is best started this way, with involvement. Loved reading this. I wholeheartedly agree with what he said about creating that spark. That person to person meeting, to me, is a spark. It shows that other person that you are willing to go above and beyond a simple email or phone call, or quick text. It shows involvement and caring. It opens up possibilities that you otherwise could not have seen through the phone or in an email.

I know I will surely use his example of the kaleidoscope, not only in my class, but in my personal life. If something seems wrong, impossible or unchangeable, I will simple change the perspective. I also believe that this goes into the next idea of becoming the board. By becoming the board, you are doing just that, changing perspectives. You are no longer seeing these things as the player or game piece, but the total space in which all movement takes place. You are the board, change the way the pieces move. Great. So simple, yet, pretty moving words. The very IDEA of possibilities creates more ideas.

I was actually able to practice these theories with one of my students. I saw him in the hallway, visibly upset and pulled him inside the class to ask what was wrong. He then proceeded to tell me that his father, whom he had not seen in the last 12 years is back in his life. I asked him why he was upset about this? Was he abusive? Did he not want his father there? Why was he so upset? He simply told me, no, that he wanted his father there. He was upset because he felt like he only had a few more years with him until he went off to college and how could he make up 12 years of absence in only 5 years. I gave him the example from the kaleidoscope story, I said, “you need to shift your view of how you see this. If you only have 5 years, or 5 minutes, you need to take this opportunity to embrace whatever time you are given.” I also told him that instead of questioning “why” he had been gone for 12 years (not playing the blame game), that he should ask him how he has spent the last 12 years, where has he lived, what places has he visited, where did he work. I wanted him to try and understand that reasoning of creating that “WE” in my student wanting to know and be a part of his father’s life. The talk went on for a little while longer and my student left feeling much better and told me that he felt so much better and it made him understand things a bit clearer to where he didn’t feel hurt or angry, but felt like this was a new door to walk through. A new set of possibilities? Maybe.

1 comment:

  1. @Rowdy,
    Your comments are so true. One of the biggest challenges of teaching technology is to realize that there are limits and times were the technology is not really as good as the traditional ways.

    I really found your story on your student to be very inspiring. It is good to see that you were able to help your student see the positive in his situation.

    ReplyDelete